Friday, February 11, 2011

Food Friday- Mexican Shepherd's Pie

I'm sorry but it's been an enormously long week. It has been terrible. Between parent teacher conferences and insane students, it's been a bad week. So, here is a new recipe to try. Josh and I both really liked it. I made a few changes because some of the ingredients can get expensive. I got the recipe from the Betty Crocker webiste. I look there all the time for some yummy recipes. Anyway, here it is..

Mexican Shepherd's Pie

1 lb extra lean ground beef
1/2 cup sliced green onions (I used normal onions because my ground beef was already cooked with them)
1 cup salsa
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
3/4 tsp. cumin
1 can Green Giant Mexicorn, drained (I used normal canned corn and it was fine)
1 pouch Betty Crocker loaded mashed potatoes
1 1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tomato, sliced

In 10-inch skillet, cook ground beef and 1/4 cup green onions over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occainsionally until beef is thouroughly cooked; drain. Stir in salsa, chili powder and cumin. Spoon corn even over beef mixture in skillet. Cover and cook over low heat until mixture is thouroughly heated.
Meanwhile, in a 2-quart saucepan, heat water and butter to boiling. Remove from heat. Stir in milk and 1 pouch potatoes with seasoning just until blended. Let stand about 1 minute or until liquid is absorbed; beat with fork until smooth.
Spoon potatoes over corn in skillet, spread evenly. Sprinkle with cheese and remaning 1/4 cup green onions. Cover, cook over low heat about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Arrange tomato wedges in spoke fashion over potatoes. Garnish with tortilla chips around outside edge of skillet. (I just cut the tomato in small pieces and sprinkled on the top, I didn't garnish with chips but it would be good.)

On a complete side note, I really wish I had a different computer tower (preferably my old one). That way I could charge my MP3 player and show some pictures of these really good meals. I also want to show off my chocolate-covered strawberries. I had to try and they taste yummy! I need to save some for Josh. Maybe Josh will help me find how to get pictures off my camera and how to charge my MP3 player when he gets home. The new tower he put on makes me miss my old slow one.

Anyway.... HAPPY COOKING!

No comments: