Saturday, February 7, 2009

Book Share

While Josh and I were still dating, I gave him a book titled Fablehaven for Christmas. I told him that I really wanted to read it too, so every night when we would talk on the phone he would read me a chapter. That started a tradition for us. We read to each other every night. Although we are married we still read to each other except we now switch off who gets to read. I guess that we both love to read to each other so that is how we came up with the idea. I have been wanting to post some of our favorite books for a long time. I guess that now I am finally do so. If you need some great book recommendations, feel free to ask! We have read many books over the years. The ones that I am posting are our favorite series books. Beware, the post is really long and it was really hard to choose some of our favorite books because we have read so many!

Our Number one favorite has to be Fablehaven by Brandon Mull. After the first book came out I bought it for him. We have been reading the books ever since. Right now we are counting down until we can start the next book titled Fablehaven: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary. It comes out March 24th, just over a month left to go! I personally believe that they are a lot better than harry Potter. Yes, I said Harry Potter. They are currently working on making a movie out of it. I just hope that it is good.


The next book that we love is also by Brandon Mull. The book is titled The Candy Shop War. Who doesn't love a little bit of sweets, especially magical sweets. This book is really fun to read. I actually have convinced my mom as well as Karen and Wendi to read this book along with the Fablehaven series. They really liked them and cannot wait to read more!

Next is a book that we had never really heard of. Josh found it at Target one day and bought it. He started to read it and thought that I would enjoy it as well. So, once we ran out of another book he started to read Septimus Heap :Magyk to me. It is a lot of fun and it keeps you puzzled throughout the whole book. It is a lot of fun and really cool. So far we have only read the first three and there are four total. A fifth one is coming out in May I believe so we really need to catch up on our reading. I actually told Josh that we will buy the fourth book when it comes out in paperback (if I buy one in paperback the rest have to be that way). I'm weird, I know.

Three more books, I promise. We have read a lot over the three years we have been reading together so I really had to choose what I was going to pick for this post. Sorry, I'm off track. The next book that we love is called The Thirteenth Reality: The Journal of Curious Letters. I bought the book for Josh's birthday last year. I thought that it looked interesting. Josh wasn't too excited about it until we actually started it. The whole time we read the book I was thinking "what in the world is happening". It also made me think and wonder what each clue was saying: much like in National Treasure and The DaVinci Code. The second book is coming out on March 4th. Yes, 20 days before Fablehaven. Josh and I decided that we were going to buy it and then wait to read it until Fablehaven is finished. Fablehaven is more important to us.

This one is the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. I had actually had it recommended to me from one of my former piano students. I told Josh about it but we already had a ton of books to read. Well, we actually ran out of books a few months ago and Josh found it and said it looked interesting. The rest is history. We are currently reading the third book and it is still really cool. They have some humor in it (through Percy's thoughts) which makes the adventure even more interesting. I highly suggest picking up these books.

The last one that I am going to recommend is a little unusual. Josh and I didn't really read them together, but we both have read them and loved them. The books are actually in two series of four. The first for are called The Circle of Magic and the second set is called The Circle Opens. I just discovered the other day that there is another one called The Circle Reforged. These books are not as action packed as the others but are really well written. They have a very different point of view of magic; which makes them so refreshing.

Keep in mind that if you live nearby, you can always take a look at our library and check some of these amazing books out. Karen does it all the time and she has enjoyed the books that I have recommended. If yo have any questions about the books, feel free to ask! I'm (Josh too) is always willing to give some great book advice.

1 comment:

The Bozemans said...

Wow, that's a neat idea for a post. I've read Fablehaven (not all of them)and I love them! I also started the Candy Shop Wars, but never finished it. That's cool that you and Josh like fantasy novels. David and I do too. See ya!