Friday, December 16, 2011

Victoria Opal Hoffman

Before I begin anything, such as posting pictures and telling the birth story, I have to say I have the most beautiful baby EVER! I know that everyone thinks that of their child, but she really is perfect and I cannot get enough of her cuteness. I will also ask a question, which I will answer later in this post. Which is worse to go through: labor or a kidney stone.
I will admit that I had a pretty easy pregnancy. I also got lucky with a halfway decent labor. I say halfway for a reason and you will understand.
Sunday morning Josh and I went to church as normal. All the women in relief society were talking to me about how close my due date was. They all said that she would arrive within the week. Josh said that she would arrive on the 18th while I was thinking the 20th. It is better to think late than early. Anyway, we went throughout our day thinking nothing of having a baby come that night. My two older sisters told me that she would come that night because it was a full moon and babies like to arrive on the full moon. After spending dinner with just the two of us and some time together that night we went to bed. (May I just add in here that it was great we had dinner just the two of us because everything was about to change!)
Around 1 AM (December 12th) I woke up because I was having a contraction and it was really painful. I also had to make a trip to the bathroom. I sat up and next thing I know water is rushing out of me. I knew it was my water. I woke Josh up and told him my water broke. We timed contractions for a few minutes and they were coming really hard and fast! Around 1:30 AM we left for the hospital. (I had to finish packing a few things.) On the way I called my parents to tell them my water broke. My dad answered and was so asleep thought I was my sister Paula calling. He eventually got it. Mom came right to the hospital and was there for support, which was great!
When we arrived at the hospital we went to triage and I got checked. I was dilated to about 5 cm. Things were moving kind of fast! They took me over to labor and delivery. In the mean time the contractions were making me really sick as well as my insane back pain. Yep, I was having back labor. Wow! Combined with that and contractions, it totally sucked! I wanted to go natural and have no epidural but because I was getting so sick from all the pain I caved. No, I don't regret the decision. Which is where I answer my question. Labor is WAY worse... and I only knew the part that I did.
**I am going to add something that NO ONE ever mentions about labor and apparently is normal. I was shaking a lot and I couldn't stop (kind of like I was cold and shivering). Everyone said that it happens often because you are going into shock. Hmm.... thanks for the information people!**
Around 3-3:30ish I received my epidural. It was amazing! I was able to sleep for awhile (I had only gotten about 3 hours of sleep that night) and relax. The nurse said that I got a really good epidural... which makes me happy. I really did not feel anything!
Around 7:30 I started to push. At the beginning I had to be told when to push because I couldn't tell when contractions were coming. Near the end I could tell when to push and I mentioned it every time. After an hour of pushing my sweet Victoria finally decided to come join us. She was born at 8:38AM and weighed 8 pounds 6 ounces. She is 20 3/4 inches long. She is absolutely amazing! She has both me and Josh totally wrapped around her fingers (mostly Josh's.)
May I add how AMAZING Josh did during the whole thing. He has really bad anxiety and this would definitely bring it on. He had to take a few walks outside of the room but he did really well. He actually held one of my legs as I pushed. He also helped me to remember to breathe before I got the epidural. I could not have done it without him! 
Just after birth. I know I look retarded but I had just had a baby.
Daddy and his little girl. I love watching him with her!
Close up!
Me and Tori in our room recovering.
Sweet Tori.
Grandpa Baker and Tori. She loved snuggling up against his belly!
Brother and sister meet at last!
Coming home from the hospital!
Plotting against his sister or being a good guard. I'm guessing guard.

2 comments:

Danny & Alyssa Coon said...

How cute! I love her little cheeks! Thanks for the heads up on the shaking, you'll have to clue me in on everything else no one tells you about labor :)

Jacob and Whitney Lauritzen said...

Yay! I'm so glad everything went well! She's adorable! I know what you mean about the back labor...I had it with Chelsea! That was by far the worst part! Hopefully the next time we're visiting that way we can come meet her!