Thursday, October 4, 2012

Our Crazy Weekend

I will first admit that I wish I had my camera with me all weekend. We could have gotten a few cute pictures of Tori during everything that was happening. Good luck reading.

Saturday morning started off pretty normal. I noticed that Tori's head was feeling a little warm but didn't really do anything about it. She was really cranky and didn't want to do anything either. It was a little annoying. She had taken both of her naps by 12:00PM, which is really unusual for her. In the meantime her head kept getting warmer. We took her to urgent care. Of course, they were really slow. After $50 and an hour and a half later we finally left Urgent Care with the diagnosis of an ear infection in her left ear. Yep, her ear tube was blocked so the doctor couldn't see inside. He figured the blockage was causing an ear infection. He gave us a prescription for drops to unblock the tube and some amoxicillin to help with the infection. We continued to give her tylenol and motrin as the rest of the day went on. Josh and I went out to my parents house so I could go to the Relief Society broadcast with my mom and Josh would hang out with my dad. Poor Josh had to walk around with Tori the whole time (except for the 15 minutes he took to go get Panda Express for him and dad. My dad was then stuck with an insanely crying baby.) We managed to get home that night, put Tori in bed and then watch a little of "The Hunger Games". Tori woke up multiple times that night. Both Josh and I were exhausted the next morning.
Sunday rolls around and yes, the fever is still there. We continue to go back and forth between Motrin and Tylenol to get it down. We go to church but was only able to stay for most of Sacrament meeting. I  ended up going back to Relief Society since I had to help with the lesson while Josh stayed home with Tori. Tori, once again didn't sleep well and was pretty insane the whole day. By the time 6 o'clock rolls around her fever is still persistent and she's still really hot. She was at about 101 degrees! Insane, I know. Since she hadn't slept well all day and she was so tired we didn't know what else to do. After talking to my mom, we ended up venturing over to Cardon's Children's Hospital to get her looked at. After waiting, I don't remember how long, in the waiting room we were finally taken back. Everything moved pretty fast from there, but we were still there a long time. After the nurse came in and we told her medical history, we had to wait for the doctor. Still, that didn't seem like too long. We mentioned that we were told she had an ear infection in the left ear. After being examined by 2 DOCTORS they said that her left ear was perfectly fine. GRRR! This is annoying. They did want to do a urine sample because when little girls have fevers that won't go away they usually have a UTI. Okay, that would take another couple hours. In the meantime I was thirsty and needed to eat because I hadn't had dinner yet so Josh went to the cafeteria to get me some food. After that we had the urine sample done. It was so hard to watch. Thankfully, I didn't have to help hold her down. After the urine sample we had to go to another waiting room to wait for the results. About 30 minutes later they were in and THERE WAS NO ISSUE! What the heck. They sent us home telling us that it was probably just a virus. GRRR. Four hours later and she still had a fever (it was at least going down thanks to a HUGE amount of Tylenol that the nurses gave her) and we had no idea what was happening. 
We finally got home at 10:30, Tori was asleep and we went to bed. Tori still did not sleep well. Ugh! Her fever was off an on on Monday and she started one on Tuesday but we caught it on time. Meanwhile, nights are a nightmare. She wakes up every 2 hours! It's so annoying! 
Wednesday rolls along and she has a rash-type thing everywhere. I was worried that it was chicken pox. We went to the doctor. Yes, we are now up to about $500 just to find out what it happening to my little girl. She at least doesn't have chicken pox but has had the Roseola Virus (child measles). The doctor yesterday said that she could diagnose her easier because she could see the whole picture. I'd never heard of it before so Josh, while at work, did some research. Yep, it just described our weekend. We are trying to help her feel comfortable with the rash but it is still really difficult. Josh actually stayed home today just to help me because she is going crazy. Her fever is gone but she looks as though she has a ton of acne. Poor girl! I'm hoping she will start sleeping through the night soon or Josh and I will really start to go crazy!

Sorry the post is so long, but that was our weekend! 

1 comment:

Emily P. said...

Sounds miserable! Elliot had Roseola when he was about 18 months old. I freaked out about the rash. I had already taken him to the Dr. and they just sent us home, so I just let it pass. Eventually you stop freaking out about every fever. It's difficult when it is your first one and you have no idea what is going on! It's good that you guys were cautious though, peace of mind is worth a lot.